Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm Finally Here!

I've decided to start a blog to better stay connected with all of my family and friends. I don't have kids to gush about, or cute "first day of school" photos to share, so I'll just have to bore you all with my life and current happenings. Oh, and possibly a few too many pictures of my monster pups.
 
Nearly a year and a half after accepting this position in Anchorage, I have finally made the BIG move to the Final Frontier! I will be the administrator over a program that provides services to individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities. I have worked with this population (on and off) for 8 years, and absolutely love my job. I feel so blessed to have found my career, my calling, at such a young age. I just hope I'm cut out for the challenge ahead!

This is my first time living out of Idaho, and this far away from my family. I feel that I have adjusted well so far, and other than the occasional pains of homesickness, am doing fine. Saying goodbye....well, that is a whole other story! I have the most amazing family and friends, and received such an overwhelming week-long goodbye. I was able to spend time with my hilarious friends (including a couple of much needed nights on the town), and thoroughly enjoyed the last days of summer with my family (at the beach, picking fresh vegetables from the garden, and long talks over cold beer on my parent's deck). I was an emotional wreck.  Everything, and I mean everything made me cry! I can blame that partially on my genes--Thank you Mom! I have always known that the people in my life are incredible, but I don't think I fully realized exactly HOW incredible they are until this move. I feel blessed every second of every day, and pray that I can find some equally incredible people here in Alaska.
 
I have finally furnished my apartment, and made it semi habitable. I'm pretty sure this move has aged me at least 10 years, and caused severe hair loss and wrinkle formation. I don't think I would wish a move this big on my worst enemy. When I found out that I would be leaving Idaho, I sold most of my belongings, put the rest in storage, and moved back in with my parents to save some money. I only moved with my clothes, a few personal items and memorabilia, my pups (who did AMAZING on this journey), and my vehicle (which should be here next week), but it was still the most stressful experience I have endured thus far.

My original plan was to drive from Idaho to Alaska. Once the final word was given, I only had 3 weeks to prepare for my move. I do not have a passport, and did not have enough time to apply and receive one. Because the Canookians separate Alaska and the Lower 48, I had to squash Plan A and go for Plan B--Drive to Seattle, drop car off at barge, and fly to AK from there.  I planned on doing this trip alone (Ms. Independent that I am), but my parents insisted that my dad join me. After grumbling for a day or two, we decided that he would make the trip with me. I am SO glad that he did! My dad and I don't often spend time alone, so it was such a treat to spend the entire weekend with him. We spent hours at Pike's Market, got lost in not-so-safe parts of Seattle, and engaged in great conversation overlooking Lake Washington. It was a wonderful weekend with excellent company!
So, after saying our goodbyes at Gate C-18, I was off for the final leg of my journey up North. I have officially rambled for too long on this post, so I will save the furniture building and multiple apartment lock outs for the next one! I hope I haven't bored too many of you in Blogger Land ;)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you!! You are an incredible young woman and I am so grateful that we were able to spend some time together in Idaho! I admire your tenacity and pioneering spirit!! I am looking forward to living in Alaska vicariously through your blog!! Love you bunches! Hey, do they make spray on Moose repellent?? Just wondering!xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the blogs coming sister!!! Love the pictures!!! Love you and miss you everyday! Thank you for inspire me to go after my dreams!

    ReplyDelete